Cornerstone College students have access to a number of bus services.
- Department for Education (DfE) Buses (including Cornerstone College Shuttle Bus)
- Southlink (Public Buses)
The safety and wellbeing of our students is always a priority and we are in regular communication with the bus companies to ensure the best interests of our students are being met.
Department for Education (DfE) Buses
Students who attend a non-government secondary school are eligible to use a DfE bus service, dependent upon their eligibility*.
These buses are managed by Mt Barker High School (MBHS) and service the following areas.
The DfE Echunga, Harrogate, Macclesfield and Wistow buses arrive at MBHS in the A.M. from their various locations. Cornerstone College students are then transported via the Cornerstone College Shuttle Bus to the Cornerstone College main roundabout. The reverse occurs in the P.M. – Students catch the Shuttle Bus from the Cornerstone College main roundabout to MBHS, disembark the Shuttle and then board their respective buses.
The DfE Kanmantoo and Nairne Buses arrives and departs via Adelaide Road Stop 62.
The DfE Hahndorf Bus arrives and departs from the Cornerstone College campus main roundabout.
*DfE Eligibility Guidelines – for students attending a non-government school
- Eligibility for Non MTBHS students in Years 8 to 12: Distance – Students attending a non-government secondary school are eligible to use a DfE bus service if they live more than five kilometres from the nearest government secondary school, that is their school of right. Usage – Students must use the bus regularly to maintain eligibility to travel on the bus (ie. travel on the service more than 50% of the time). Eligibility (distance) can be checked by accessing whereis.com.au, click on directions, entering in your residential address as the start and Mt Barker High School as the destination. This will give you the distance between your home and Mt Barker High School.
- Eligibility for Students in Year 7: Primary aged students (Reception to Year 7) are also eligible to use the DfE buses if they live more than 5km away from their nearest Government School. In the case of Year 7 students, this is determined based on their nearest Government Primary School. Students who live within 5km of their nearest Government Primary School can still apply to use the School Bus Services, and can be granted permission to catch a school bus for up to 12 months if there is available seating on that bus.
Application Process for DfE Buses
- An application form is required each year per family. (Click here to download form)
- Submit your application form to Cornerstone College at: email@example.com
Please note – our receipt of your application form does not guarantee approval to travel on DfE buses.
- Cornerstone College will forward your application to MBHS on your behalf for processing.
- MBHS will assess the application, make the final decision regarding eligibility to travel, and advise Cornerstone College of the outcome.
- We will communicate MBHS’s decision to families as soon as we are advised.
- Each student on this family form will incur a one off, non-refundable processing fee of $20.00 payable to Cornerstone College (charged to your College account).
- It is recommended that families only complete an application form if their child meets the eligibility guidelines and are in an area that is serviced by the DfE buses, to avoid unnecessary charges.
- Generally, it can take the first four weeks of Term 1 for MBHS to accurately determine and allocate bus seating before families can be advised if their child has been approved for travel. Considering this time frame, we suggest families consider alternative transport until the outcome of applications can be communicated to families.
- If your child/ren are unable to access a DfE bus due to ineligibility or location, please refer to the ‘Bus Services’ section of our website for alternative non-DfE bus travel options.
Cornerstone Shuttle Bus
The primary purpose of the Shuttle Bus is for the transport of students to and from the College and Mount Barker High School (MBHS) to utilise the DfE bus services. Please note that all the DfE buses (except the Kanmantoo, Nairne and the Hahndorf bus) require the students to use the Cornerstone Shuttle Bus to and from the College and MBHS.
The Shuttle Bus is a LinkSA bus that is contracted to Cornerstone College. This service requires student to use their Student ID cards as they alight the bus. This service incurs a $1 per trip fee that will be charged to student term fees (ie A.M. = one trip, P.M. = one trip).
This Shuttle Bus picks up Cornerstone College students at 3.21pm at the roundabout on the campus and goes to MBHS. In the morning it departs MBHS at 8.35am and travels to Cornerstone College. Pick up & set down at MBHS is on Stephenson Street at the rear entrance to MBHS. For more information on this service call Cornerstone College or LinkSA.
If there are seats available, the Shuttle Bus may be used for students to travel between the College and St Marks Primary School/Mt Barker High School – All students who wish to utilise the Shuttle Bus for this purpose only are required to complete a separate Application Form for ‘Permission to Travel’ at the beginning of each school year. ‘Permission to Travel’ must be granted in writing from the Principal of Cornerstone College (or nominee) BEFORE using the Cornerstone College Shuttle Bus.
SouthLink (Public Buses)
SouthLink is a subsidiary of Keolis Downer who is Australia’s largest private provider of multi-modal public transport. SouthLink operates Metro Services in the Adelaide Hills, Outer South and Outer North of Adelaide. For more information, please contact SouthLink via: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.southlink.com.au or contact the Mt Barker Depot on 08 8339 7544. Students can purchase Metrocards or, individual trip tickets can be purchased with cash as students embark the bus (subject COVID-19 protocols). For Bus Timetables or more information visit: www.adelaidemetro.com.au/routes or www.southlink.com.au.
Cornerstone Map with Bus Zones
Buses accessed at Cornerstone College
- Cornerstone College Shuttle Bus (Zone B)
(Transfers students to MBHS to access the following DfE buses: Echunga, Harrogate, Macclesfield, Wistow)
- SouthLink 835 Lobethal (Zone A)
- SouthLink 880 Balhannah (Zone A)
- SouthLink 837 Nairne (Zone B)
- SouthLink 881 Stirling (Zone B)
- SouthLink 852L Langhorne Creek/Strathalbyn (Zone B)
- DfE Hahndorf (LinkSA) (Zone A)
Buses accessed via Adelaide Road – Stop 62
- DfE Kanmantoo (LinkSA)
- DfE Nairne (LinkSA)
- SouthLink 864F Adelaide City
- LinkSA Murray Bridge
In the event of any major changes to services affecting students as per below, the College will endeavour to send an SMS and/or an email to all families to communicate the circumstances and/or solutions.
We encourage families to discuss their preferred action plan for students to take in the event that a bus is not in operation, delayed or diverted.
Catastrophic Fire Day and Bus Services
On a Catastrophic Fire Day when announced by the CFS for the Mt Lofty Ranges District, Cornerstone College will be CLOSED. No students are to attend the College.
DfE bus services, and the Cornerstone Shuttle Bus will NOT operate on a Catastrophic Fire Day when announced by the CFS for the Mt Lofty Ranges District.
For more information on SouthLink buses during a Catastrophic Fire Day, you can contact the Mount Barker Park and Ride on 08 8339 7544 between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm. For enquiries outside of these hours, please contact Adelaide Metro on 1300 311 108.
Flood Warnings / Road Closures and Bus Services
In the event there is severe flooding and or road closure/s affecting the buses, the LinkSA DfE buses and SouthLink buses, will endeavour to continue to run wherever possible.
During road closures resulting in major delays in services, the various bus companies that provide bus services operate under specific guidelines. Please refer below to each company’s website to view their guidelines.
Diversions will be put in place where necessary, please expect delays. For more information on buses, you can contact the Mount Barker Park and Ride on 08 8339 7544 between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm.
For enquiries outside of these hours, please contact Adelaide Metro on 1300 311 108.
Cornerstone College – Mrs Jo Powell | 8398 6000
Mt Barker High School | 8391 1599 | www.mtbhs.sa.edu.au
SouthLink | 8339 7544 | www.southlink.com.au
LinkSA | 8532 2633 | www.linksa.com.au
Adelaide Metro | 1300 311 108 | www.adelaidemetro.com.au
Timetables and Routes
DfE Bus Services – Timetables and Routes (coordinated via Mount Barker High School)
Guidelines and Protocol
Temporary Changes to DfE Buses